Stairs passage

Stairs passage

Considered to be the most picturesque place characteristic old Sibiu, Stairs Passage known as the "Wall Needle", connects the Upper Town and Lower Town, the two branches of stairs and arches that surround the city walls surrounding the Evangelical Church. So, Upper Town to be high defensive wall, the two terraces, High around 10 m, supported by massive buttresses that support the arch buildings in the city of Jos butante, many of them centuries old six. The two walls meet in the upper passage.

After founding Prepoziturii and especially in the diploma Andrew II of 1224, Sibiu which have been conferred certain rights and privileges other economic and social policy, including the establishment County, was impetuous development has reached a settlement. That status has led to amplification fortifications that extended north-east, encompassing and current Piata Mica. Then, the XIII century, it is assumed by some historians, it was built and most impressive architectural ensemble of the old Sibiu, Stairs passage. The counterargument for them, But it gave the Tartar invasion in 1241-1242, which showed that fortification systems of that era Transylvania were in a state incipient.Abia after those terrible experiences was passed to a thorough review including conception about fortifications. Subsequently proceeded to amplify belt defense, operation which was to extend the walls of the Upper Town. They have generally followed slope, except the southwest portion, which was taken into account inhabited area. The operation was to be finalized until two centuries later, When, at the beginning of the next century, it is believed that the mayor ordered Marcus Pemfflinger, actually, overpass construction. he had, approximate, configuration today, although through the years 1950, an architect, it seems uninspired, He has placed there some stairs, changing its, The default name of "passage Pemfflinger" in "passage stairs".

m16

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Built of stone and brick, passage ends in its upper part , at the intersection with the street Odobescu, Tower Gate, one of the oldest fortification elements of the third chamber, and she joined him and enclosure walls, with the Old Town Hall, today History Museum, National Museum Brukenthal. Major restoration works of this passage, Sibiu's historic monument, They were executed 1860 but recently, in 2006. Mentioned that in July 2007, European Commission President, Jose Manuel Barosso, He wanted to personally visit Stairs Passage, Sibiu Edil promising financial and logistical support for the preservation of such historic value.