Big market, one of the largest in Transylvania, situated in the north of the city, It has always been a true emblem of the ancient burg.
Although it seems that it was built in 1366, a third belt defense fortress, that precinct was first mentioned in contemporary documents only in 1411, as the main market of cereals, but at the same time and place of assembly or public executions. too, here were "pillory", having the statue of Roland on top, Hangman and "Cage Fools", where, during the day they were exposed to public opprobrium those who disturbed the peace fellows night.
Taking the same route outlined since the XIV century , Piata Mare has a rectangular shape with a length of 142 m and width 93 m. On its sides remained standing, achieved only patina, vechile medieval noble houses, with another symbol of the city brand, Brukenthal, place the start of the promotion of art in this part of Europe.
The most representative buildings in Piata Mare are in order:
1. Casa Haller, situated at number 10, rich in Renaissance elements with a Gothic tower house in the yard. her owner, comitele Peter Haller of Haller stone, a descendant of merchants-patrician Nuremburg, He managed to keep the property for 345 for years;
2. Brukenthal, located at number 4, former residence of the former governor of Transylvania, Baron Samuel von Brukenthal, which houses the National Museum namesake;
3. Blue house, building located at number 5 in which 1844 He founded the Law Academy, later known (between 1858-1862) headquarters of the Society of Natural Sciences;
4. City Hall, Located on Brukenthal No. 2, care, for a century, from 1906 It was the seat of the Land Bank of Credit and then the CEC;
5. house Generals, located at number 7, where they had headquarters and Magistracy, then, General Command of the Austrian troops in Transylvania;
house of Arts, situated at number 21, one of the most beautiful buildings in Sibiu, known as the house that sheltered Butchers, anciently, stores of that guild;
6. Casa Hecht, situated at number 8, belonging to one of the ancient halls Hermannstadt, Georg Hecht, previously operated here first mint of the city;
7. Casa lozenges, the number 13 It was the seat Prepoziturii, but the high officials who visited Sibiu. Nos 2 and 3 The church and parsonage are found Roman Catholic, where he worked at the Jesuit seminary that studied, among others and Enlightenment Gheorghe Lazar;
8. Casa Weidner-Reussner-Czekelius, the number 16 bears the name of subsequent owners, in turn have influenced the architecture of the building.
It should be also mentioned two other buildings that "output" in the Square: House Altemberger-Pempfliger, Street Metropolitan No. 2, the largest Gothic building in Romania, where it worked for almost four centuries (between 1550-1947) city Hall, and "Hotel Emperor of the Romans", located in street Nicolae Balcescu. 4, old inn named "Blue Star", founded in 1555 and where the guest was, in 1773, German himself Emperor Joseph II.